We are a group of parents who have children who have been diagnosed with Reactive Attachment Disorder.
This can happen to a child for a variety of reasons. Raising these children is very challenging. We think that reading about other's challenges is very helpful and encouraging. So we created this blog so we can write things we go through without infringing upon our children's privacy. For this reason we will not use our children's names or our own. We hope you find this blog helpful

Monday, March 15, 2010

Hi ALL

HI All, Glad to be here with other mom's who struggle with the daily task of raising a child who hads RAD.

I am Deaffmommie and I have two children. My son is healthy so I probably won't talk so much about him but my daughter developed RAD after we were burn injured 11 yrs ago. Our abrupt separation and my subsequent changes in appearance as well as loosing my hearing have all played a part in my daughter's attachment issues.

MeiMei (little sister in Chinese) is my biological child. she was three yrs and two months at the time of the fire but still very young three and had a lot of her baby ways about her still. Add to that being cute and blonde and big green eyes, wel she became the staff favorite quickly.

MeiMei is now 14 and quite a young lady in some respects, but still "stuck" if you will not quite willing to stop being the center of attention. Hoping to share ideas on what works, gain support for things that don't and to help educate folks about thise VERY REAL disorder.

Thanks for asking me to share,
Deaffmommie


1 comment:

  1. My RAD son also loves to be the center of attention. He also is cute and is in a wheelchair so it's easy for people to pay attention to him. It's a real issue for us.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think, but please be nice. We won't post negative or mean comments. All comments are reviewed before they are published.